To view a full list of short and modular courses offered by IMBA, click here.
Radio Program Director/Manager Course
This course is designed for existing and aspiring Program Directors and Managers.
If you are:
- a newly appointed Program Director, Content Director or Program Manager,
- an announcer, producer or music director ready to take the next career step,
- a long standing programmer who has had no formal training,
- or working elsewhere in radio and want to understand programming,
this course is for you.
The course has been running successfully for over 15 years and has produced many world leading Program Directors and Program Managers. The course is now available outside Australia through IMBA.
Normal course price is AUD $5000, but discounts of up to 50% may be available depending on country of origin, employment status and other factors. Discounts are also available for Asia Pacific Broadcasting (ABU) members.
This course is delivered online, in English, and is open to broadcasters from anywhere in the world, outside Australia. Participants who successfully complete the year long course will receive a Certificate in Radio Program Directing, endorsed by Commercial Radio Australia.
By the end of this course, students will have had the opportunity to:
- Gain theoretical and practical knowledge relevant to the commercial radio station context
- Acquire skills in leadership and management including the role of the Program Director, radio station structure and broadcast law and regulations
- Investigate brand management including strategies formats and developing tactics for talk and music radio
- Explore the mechanics of radio programming including format clocks, music logs and scheduling, talk clocks and rundowns, promotions and air checks.
Industry mentors and lecturers will challenge students with demanding content. Graduates will be well prepared to take on the role of a professional radio Program Director or Manager.
Participants should ideally have several years experience in radio and be currently employed in a radio station.
Leading industry programmers have been involved in the development of the course and will be involved as mentors and assessors. The Course leader is Steve Ahern.